Essential Thrombocytosis : To Breastfeed or Not

by - August 25, 2017

I have mentioned before in this blog that I was diagnosed with Essential Thrombocytosis. I had it way before I got pregnant with my second child. And even after I have given birth, I still have it.


Because of this condition, I was required to take some medication which leaves me one question: Should I continue breastfeeding or not?

Source: The Lullaby Trust

I breastfed my first child for 2 years until I got diagnosed with ET. Even if I was not told to stop breastfeeding, I decided to stop because I don't want my meds to affect her on any way. Besides, she could already eat solid food.

Now with my newborn, I really want to breastfeed him since we all know that breast milk is the best milk for babies. But then the pedia advised me to stop breastfeeding if my hema would tell me to continue with my meds.

I got a little depressed over the thought of not being able to breastfeed my little one even if I have sufficient milk supply. Talk about postpartum blues.

I joined groups of mommies who are breastfeeding advocates. It was then I knew that there is a site to check the compatibility of a certain medicine to breastfeeding.

Source: E-Lactancia
After reading, I got a glimmer of hope that I can still breastfeed my little one.
However, every time I go to my hema for checkups, my dosage gets higher and higher (as of this time, I have to take 2x a day for 6 days and 3x on the 7th day).

That's when I have come up with a decision: I just want to be a mom.

I want to be the mom who would always be there for her children. I want to be the mom who puts her children first before any advocacy. The kind of mom who just wants the best for her kids.

I would always prefer breast milk over formula but I also do not want to risk my little one. I don't want blood tests performed on him from time to time just because of some medicine I'm taking.

So to breastfeed or not should not matter for me now.
All I want is just the best for my little one.
I know breast milk is the best food for him, but not my milk.

To breastfeed or not?
Whatever the answer is won't make me any less of a mother to my child. :)

You May Also Like

18 comments

  1. I wish you lot of good days in life.You are a great mother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh it must have been really hard for u and ur baby. More power to you lady

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a difficult dilemma for a mother. Please don't feel disappointed in yourself in any way. Mothers love is most important than any thing assigned as to be best for baby.nothing exceeds a mothers love and bond with baby. Focus on developing your relation with little one and your own health. Best to you. You are doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Ophira ♥ This made me feel so much better.

      Delete
  4. I can feel you momma, that hard decision we had to take sometimes in life for the goodwill of our kids and family. You have taken the best decision and breast feed or formula feed, you will always be the mommy to your babies. More power to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That must have been a difficult decision for you. But as they say, mom knows best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Especially since I'm also in a breastfeeding advocate group. They encourage me to still breastfeed. But I'd rather make sure my baby gets fed while not having to risk him because of my meds.

      Delete
  6. Fed is best. And you are doing the best for your child. You are an amazing mom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree..a mom is a mom no matter what! I know it's not easy but you took a right decision.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Breastfeeding is still the best for babies but it's your own choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would agree that breastfeeding is the best food for babies. But again as what I mentioned, NOT my milk. :)
      If any mom out there is willing to breastfeed my child then I'd be so grateful. ♥

      Delete
  9. It must have been so difficult to be in your situation. But I do believe that a happy mommy is the best mommy and a healthy mommy is an even better mommy. Ultimately every mother does her best for her child - breast milk or not. Wish you well dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mommy T! I still get sad at some times when people make me feel like I'm not being a good mom because I resorted to formula rather than finding ways to breastfeed with medication. Fortunately, a lot of moms out there understands my situation and just chose to support rather than judge ♥

      Delete